Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) – Instructional Technology and Leadership Duquesne University, School of Education (GPA: 3.97)
Certificate in Media Arts and Technology Duquesne University, McAnulty School of Liberal Arts
Master of Music (M.M.) – Digital Pedagogy Duquesne University, Mary Pappert School of Music (GPA: 3.96)
Bachelor of Music (B.M.) – Music Technology, Sound Recording Duquesne University, Mary Pappert School of Music (GPA: 3.4)
Manager, Online Programs University of Pittsburgh, University Center for Teaching and Learning
Manage central support services for online academic programs. Oversee the planning, development, delivery, and assessment of online programs and courses including all MOOCs offered by the university. Coordinate program management activities with a variety of faculty and administrators throughout the University. Manage a staff of instructional designers and technologists and oversee their work in course design, multi-media development, faculty development for online teaching, and compliance activities such as state authorizations, accessible course design, and copyright clearance. Coordinate communication among University stakeholders in online learning. Participate in the evaluation of program proposals for inclusion in the Pitt Online portfolio of more than a dozen online graduate programs across several schools within the University. Assist schools with marketing efforts for Pitt Online programs.
Jan 2017 – Present
Adjunct Professor of Music Technology Duquesne University, Mary Pappert School of Music
Assist with curriculum development for current and future courses in music technology/production. Teach all levels of undergraduate and graduate music technology and multimedia courses.
Jan 2008 – Present
Instructional Technology Manager University of Pittsburgh, Center for Instructional Development and Distance Education
Manage and mentor Instructional Technologists within Pitt Online. Develop recourses for best practices and operational processes for the department.
Dec 2015 – Jan 2017
Instructional Technologist University of Pittsburgh, Center for Instructional Development and Distance Education
Collaborate with faculty and departmental staff to develop online courses for Pitt Online programs. Oversee development and publishing of all MOOC content. Build courses on Blackboard and Coursera platforms. Develop online instructional assets. Produce, record, and edit instructional video content. One-to-one consultation with staff and faculty regarding instructional technology selection and training.
Jul 2014 – Dec 2015
Computer Lab Manager Duquesne University, Mary Pappert School of Music
Train music faculty in instructional technology software and hardware. Hire, train, and supervise a team of student employees working in music technology labs across campus. Install, update, and repair music technology hardware and software. Purchase hardware and software.
Aug 2012 – Jul 2014
Instructional Technology Consultant Carnegie Mellon University, Heinz College
Consult with CMU teaching faculty, research emerging instructional technologies, and develop training materials under the direction of Dr. Kim J. Hyatt.
Aug 2012 – May 2013
Expertise in Online Programs
- Teaching hybrid and fully online higher education courses (10 years)
- Managing teams of instructional designers and technologists in course development (2 years)
- Consulting faculty on instructional design and technology (7 years)
- Facilitating faculty development trainings and workshops (3 years)
- Producing, recording, and editing instructional video and audio content (15 years)
- Assisting in program enrollment and marketing efforts (1 year)
- Instructional Content Development. Blackboard, Coursera, OLI, Camtasia, CTAT, Captivate, Respondus, Articulate, VoiceThread, Panopto, MediaSite, Kaltura, PowerPoint, Keynote, iBooks, various web-based applications.
- Audio and Music Production. Pro Tools, Audition, Logic, Ableton Live, Reason, Max/MSP, Reaper, MainStage, GarageBand. Familiar with a wide variety of audio production hardware.
- Visual Production. Premiere, Final Cut, Photoshop, Illustrator, iMovie. Familiar with a wide variety of video production hardware.
- Web Design. HTML, CSS, PHP, jQuery, Dreamweaver, WordPress.
Gunnell, J. (2017). Relevant versus extraneous music in multimedia instruction: A study of the coherence principle. Doctoral dissertation, Duquesne University.
Gunnell, J. & Piccolini, A. (2016). Pitt Online Toolbox: Building a centralized staff resource depot. Presented at the Online Learning Consortium (OLC) Innovate 2016 conference, New Orleans, LA.
Hyatt, K. J., Gunnell, J., Roberts, C., & Smith, H. (2013). Integrating technology throughout the writing process. International HETL Review, 3(7).
Gunnell, J. (2012). Teaching with Max/MSP. Presented at the Technology Institute for Music Educators (TI:ME) and Jazz Education Network (JEN) 2012 National Conference, Louisville, KY.
Mroziak, J. & Gunnell, J. (2012). Music 2.0 – Webtools for Creative Pedagogy. Presented at the Association for Technology in Music Instruction (ATMI) National Conference, Richmond, VA.
Gunnell, J. (2011). Mashup the Music Classroom. Presented at the Technology Institute for Music Educators (TI:ME) and Ohio Music Educators Association (OMEA) 2011 National Conference, Cincinnati, OH.
Notable Program Participation
- Spring 2018 Learning Technology Consortium Meeting, Wake Forest University.
- Spring 2018 Pittsburgh Regional Faculty Symposium, Duquesne University.
- Spring 2018 Online Learning Consortium Collaborate, Carlow University.
- Spring 2018 EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Fall 2017 ELI – Evaluating Online Teaching workshop.
- Fall 2017 Learning Technology Consortium Meeting, University of Notre Dame.
- Summer 2017 EDUCAUSE Management Institute, Long Beach, CA.
- Spring 2017 Learning Technology Consortium Meeting, Penn State University.
- Summer 2016 CMU Simon Initiative’s LearnLab Summer School (Intelligent Tutoring Systems track), Carnegie Mellon University.
- Summer 2016 PCHE/ Simon Initiative Summer Institute, Point Park University.
- Spring 2016 Learning Technology Consortium Meeting, University of Central Florida.
- Spring 2016 Online Learning Consortium Innovate, New Orleans, LA.
- Fall 2015 Learning Technology Consortium Meeting, Virginia Tech.
- Spring 2015 Learning Technology Consortium Meeting, Duke University.
- Fall 2014 Online Learning Consortium, Orlando, FL.
- Fall 2014 Quality Matters Workshop, University of Pittsburgh.
- Fall 2012 Association for Technology in Music Instruction (ATMI) Conference, Richmond, VA.
- Spring 2012 Technology Institute for Music Educators (TI:ME) Conference, Louisville, KY.
- Spring 2011 Technology Institute for Music Educators (TI:ME) Conference, Cincinnati, OH.